30 January 2008

Forum Posting

In response to Constitutional Proposals (Presidential Election), Stephen Palmer writes:

Rob, this is a critically important issue to bring to light, and I appreciate your comments.

Almost without exception, the Founders understood, with Aristotle, that next to tyranny, democracy is the worst form of government. This understanding is displayed all throughout the Federalist Papers.What people fail to realize is the difference between a democratic culture, and a Democracy in terms of governmental forms.

The Founders wanted a Constitutional Republic that supported a democratic society, or a society where people truly believed and lived the ideal that all men and women are created equal in the sight of God. A democratic society is a mobile society; people are free to move up and down social classes as they see fit. However, a democratic form of government is something entirely different.

I also write alot about this issue on my blog and I think you and I could have some interesting discussions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Rob Scot replies:

I acknowledge that a good government must in some repects be, strictly speaking, undemocratic. However, there is a fine line to tread when we speak of a government designed to uphold democracy in society while itself remaining less than fully democratic. Again, I do not take issue with the fact that this must be the case to an extent; but it is inevitable that the populace will at times come to view certain government actions as hypocritical in this regard. Therefore, if it is feasible to make the government more democratic while still upholding the rule of law, due process, and sound reason, I believe such measures are desirable. Specifically, I believe the process by which our nation elects its president is such an area.

I don't pretend that such a measure would be undertaken without some risk and controversy, but democray has always been risky business. Your comment that "next to tyranny, democracy is the worst form of government" brought to my mind another quote:
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." -- Sir Winston Churchill

By the way, where can I find your blog? I would very much like to visit it.

No comments: