12 June 2008

Forum Posting

In response to Constitutional Proposals Part IV: Proportional Representation in the House, Wilf Day writes:

A proportional system for the House of Representatives need not reduce the level of regionally specific representation, if elected state-by-state, as I assume they would be. Indeed, with a 5% threshold California could elect at-large representatives proportionally in two districts.
You have not specified whether at-large representatives would be calculated as "compensatory" (to top-up the single-district results) or in parallel with the district results. The parallel system, used in Japan but not in Europe, gives a voters for a party who have elected more than their share of single-district representatives, and are therefore over-represented, still more congressional representatives, for no obvious reason. I assume, therefore, that you propose a compensatory calculation, but it would be clearer to say so.

Rob Scot writes:

Thank you for your contribution, and for allowing me to clarify my position. I am not familiar with the term compensatory in this context, but I believe I understand your point. In a system which seeks to combine both majoritarian and proportional elections in order to utilize the benefits of both, it seems most appropriate to have the proportional seats "compensate" for any inequality which may have been manifested by the majoritarian, or single-member district, elections. In other words, after the single-district direct elections have been tallied, the remaining seats are appointed by party based upon a second, general vote that will reflect voter demographics; the results of this second, proportional vote will serve to more fairly balance the representation. In this way, the benefits of majoritarianism via direct elections (i.e. simpler political process for voters and politicians, greater accountability to voters) are combined with the benefits of proportionalism (greater fairness and political equality in representation).

1 comment:

Lindsey Shuman said...

Mr. Scot:

I apologize for writing you here, but I was unable to find an email link, so this was my only recourse. Anyway, my name is Lindsey Shuman and I am one of the contributors to the American Creation blog. The reason for my comment here is to let you know that we are looking for additional contributors to join us. The purpose of our blog is to discuss the religious aspects of early American history. We have tried to assemble a pretty diverse group and we would like to continue on that path.

Anyway, if you are interested in joining us please let me know via email (lindseyshuman@gmail.com). Again, we would love to have you come on board if you are interested.

Thanks for your time!